A 2016 House of Commons Report stated; the usual definition of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) is any business with fewer than 250 employees.
There were 5.4 million SMEs in the UK in 2016, which was over 99% of all businesses.
Micro-businesses have 0-9 employees. There were 5.3 million micro businesses in the UK in 2016, accounting for 96% of all businesses.
The vast majority of small businesses are yet to learn how to use the web, online marketing and social media to their maximum potential. Below are some recent statistics:
- 39% of all small businesses have been in business for three years or less. (GoDaddy)
- It may come as a surprise that 71% of small business owners do their own digital marketing, instead of leaving it to experts. (Linchpin)
- 35% feel that their operation is simply too small to warrant a website. (GoDaddy)
- Mobile and tablet (51.3%) now gets more usage than desktop (48.7%) (StatCounter)
- 56% of all traffic online comes from a mobile device. (SimilarWeb)
- 19% of local businesses surveyed said their website is not yet mobile. (ReachLocal)
- Facebook is still #1 with 1.65 billion monthly active users and 1.09 billion daily active users, on average. (Facebook)
- Only 13% of small businesses use social media for communication with customers. (GoDaddy)
- Small business owners have doubled their spending on social advertising over the past two years. (iMedia Connection)
- 90% of B2C businesses report that social media has become their most popular content marketing tactic, followed by illustrations and photos (87%), eNewsletters (83%), videos (82%) and website articles (81%). (Content Marketing Institute)
- 94% of B2B marketers prefer LinkedIn as their top choice for a content marketing strategy, followed by Twitter (87%), Facebook (84%), YouTube (74%) and Google+ (62%). (Content Marketing Institute)
- Small business owners who decide to register on Twitter should respond to questions and complaints as fast as possible. 78 percent of people expect a response within an hour. (Lithium)
- However, with 40 million small businesses using Pages on Facebook, and 75% of brands using the social network to promote their posts, Facebook is still the way to go when you want to connect with a large audience. (Facebook)
- Social media play an important role in B2B relationships. 64% of brands follow other businesses on social media. (Business Insider)
- More companies are seeing the important of content marketing. On average, they are allocating 32% of total marketing budgets going towards content. (Content Marketing Institute
- B2B marketers are leading the pack, with 88% using content marketing as part of their marketing strategy. (Content Marketing Institute)
- However, only 32% of them actually have a documented content marketing strategy. (Content Marketing Institute)
- Two-thirds of marketers and agency executives see video as the next trend in content marketing. (iab)
- Daily blogging is 25% more effective than monthly blogging, when it comes to customer acquisition. (HubSpot)
- Furthermore, regular blogging results in 97% more inbound links, compared to companies who don’t blog at all. (Stratabeat)
Are you struggling to find enough hours in the day to keep your business social media channels and blog regularly updated? Felicity at The Virtual Assistant UK can help you to:
- Research Trends within your Industry
- Create a Content Strategy
- Create and Manage Business Pages or Groups
- Update your Channels Regularly
- Write Creative and Interactive Content for your Blog and Social Media
- Ensure you’re Engaging the Right Audience and getting your Brand out there!
- Simple Website Amends
Contact Felicity:- email@example.com or 07702 349 962.
If you’re looking to partner with a Virtual Assistant so that you can focus on growing your business, please do not hesitate to contact Felicity at The Virtual Assistant UK to discuss how our VA services could support you.
Other Data Sources: Review Squirrel and GoDaddy